Hawaii Healing Garden Festival
Healthy Haupia with purple Sweet Potato
4-6 small purple sweet potatoes, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/3 cup agar-agar flakes
1 qt. coconut milk
1 cup water
1 packet coconut milk powder
1 Tbs. arrowroot powder
1 Tbs. tapioca flour
½ cup coconut syrup (OR ½ cup Maple syrup, juice or ½ cup Evaporated cane juice crystals)
¼ cup coconut cream
½ cup coconut flour mixed with 1 ½ cups water
¼ cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract, or seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- scrub potatoes and bake at 350* for approx 45 min until tender (or steam), and rinse in cold water
- bring coconut milk to boiling in pan and add agar flakes stirring frequently
- simmer til all agar is completely dissolved and mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- dissolve coconut milk powder, arrowroot powder and tapioca flour in water and whisk into pudding
- add sweetener, coconut cream and vanilla or other flavoring
- mix in coconut flour mixture and oil
- rub skins off sweet potatoes, dice and add to pudding.
- pour into a 9 x 12 pan and let cool until firm; can also refrigerate.
No-Bake Crust For Pie:
- chop 1 cup soaked walnuts in food processor, add 6 soaked dates and process til coarse.
- press into 9 x 12 pan
- whip sweet potatoes in food processor, adding almond milk a little at a time til thick and smooth
- spread on top of crust
- spread haupia on top of sweet potatoes
- sprinkle with coconut flakes (optional)